Calling all Aussies!

• dug1
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
6 years 2 months ago #6999 by dug1
Calling all Aussies! was created by dug1
There's a few of us popping up now and it would be interesting to find out who the rest are, info about vehicles, issues, good dealers etc.

It's obvious that our variants differ from the Euros in a number of areas.

Time to fess up I reckon!

Rest easy UK, Euro and the odd US comrades- not trying to hijack the site just interested to share local experiences a bit easier!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #7002 by Balance1973
Replied by Balance1973 on topic Calling all Aussies!
Hey, Doug.

One of the other Aussies here.

I've a Titanium-coloured midrange 4WD with the 1.8L DI-D engine. I took delivery in December 2010 and have since put almost 29000 Ks on it. Currently averaging 6.2L/100kms, with a best of 5.48.

I got mine from Bill Lilley Mitsubishi in Queanbeyan, who were a couple of grand cheaper than other Mitsubishi dealers in the vicinity. They've looked after me pretty well, especially when they retrieved the mounting lugs for my bonnet protector from the front under tray, free of charge.

I'm interested in trying out something other than the OE Dunlop SP Sport 270s once they're worn out, mainly from a road noise perspective. I've read elsewhere here that Continental ContiPremium Contact 2s are very highly regarded.

No issues for me aside from a glovebox rattle, which I've learned to put up with.

The voice-controlled Apple iPod connectivity is a brilliant, unexpected bonus! Makes the few minutes of waiting for playback to start worth it!

Regards,

Cam

• dug1
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
6 years 2 months ago #7028 by dug1
Replied by dug1 on topic Calling all Aussies!
Hi Cam,

You must be pretty close to me. I live in Jindabyne and work at Perisher resort hence the need for tyres that can handle the snow. The Toyos are also much better than the standard tyres for grip and road noise. The standard tyres were scrubbed badly on the edges after less than 20K not helped by the bends and coarse chip roads come up the hill.

I bought mine late Aug 2010 from Alpine Mitsubishi in Cooma. He was about $800 cheaper than the best Sydney price and threw in some extras. I got an Aspire 1.8DiD. It's fantastic for the climb up the mountain each day.

The only real gripes I have with the car are that the suspension tends to crash over even small bumps and severe stone chipping on the rear bottom edge of the rear doors- I drive on 9Klm of gravel road each day. Shame they didn't spend 50 cents on some clear protective film in that area just like Foresters!

Mine is soon due for the 45K service which includes an actual tappet adjustment rather than just listening for noise. I'm in a quandry as to where to take it as I imagine the apprentice in Cooma hasn't done too many!

More
6 years 1 month ago #7080 by fb_672262441
Replied by fb_672262441 on topic Calling all Aussies!
Hi Guys,

I have a black, diesel Aspire ASX with a bit of an upgrade to the wheels :-) I live in Canberra and am a bit miffed about the fuel consumption. When the car was new I got 850km out of a tank driving from Canberra to Port Macquarie. I just got back from a trip to Melbourne (as you probably know very flat road) and got 7.5 on the way there and 7.7 on the way home around 700km out of the tank :-( it only has 11,000km on the clock any ideas??

I am also a snow goer heading to Guthega every weekend :-) I put directional tyres on and am a bit worried how they are going to go. I am thinking of buying those tyre socks, like chains but they are a big sock to assist driving on snow and ice (not legal in oz but who is going to see me up the Guthega road). My only real beef with the car is the paint....its so thin!!! I got a carbra for it to try and protect it from stone chips, did you guys get pain protection when you got yours?

Cheers
Dwy

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #7081 by fb_672262441
Replied by fb_672262441 on topic Calling all Aussies!
Pic with the carbra - say hi if you see me around :-)

Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by fb_672262441.

More
6 years 1 month ago #7110 by Balance1973
Replied by Balance1973 on topic Calling all Aussies!
Hey Dwy,

Nice ride you've got there. No paint or dent protection offered to me at Bill Lilley.

Some questions in relation to your fuel economy issue:

1. Did you get the so-so economy before or after the wheel/tyre upgrade?
2. What size is the wheel and tyre upgrade?
3. Have you, by any chance, compared the weight of said wheel and tyre against the previous 17s? Do they weigh at least the same, or are they heavier?
4. How much luggage were you carrying on you trips to and from Melbourne?
5. Any idea on the brands of fuel used, or the outlets you've purchased it from? I've seen from past experience big differences in fuel economy numbers when I've purchased fuel from one outlet compared to another.

I'm guessing that the extra rotational inertia, introduced by the potentially heavier new wheel/tyre combination, is a contributing factor. Another one, fuel and wheels/tyres aside, is whether or not the car was doing a DPF purge during such runs. The symptoms of this happening are a ~900rpm idle (obviously impossible at highway speeds) and the instant fuel economy readout showing somewhere in the 8L/100kms+ region at highway speeds, as opposed to 5s and 6s.

Hope this helps.

Cam

Time to create page: 4.945 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by